3/02/2013

Online resources part 2


Hi everybody,

This week was more about exploring new tools that enhance language learning and learner autonomy. After my wife has seen the website for learning languages she decided to start to learn another foreign language online.

Here is how I see some of them.
I have tried and created some material for my next week classes. A first I have created a wordsearch exercise - topic Money on http://www.toolsforeducators.com - I recommend it to everyone who has students in their classes that want to participate and prepare some activities. I sometimes allow students to prepare such exercises as revision of vocabulary or warm ups. The one I have created can be found under Courtney's class Wiki / week 8 resources.

Hotpotaoes application is a good one, too. I used it a couple times with my students. I did not like it at all and my students did not enjoy doing the exercises I have prepared.  This does not mean I will give up working with Hotpotatoes. I think this week I saw many different ways of how to use this tool and this will inspire me in my future work. Good thing about Hotpotatoes is that students get instant feedback.

I have also checked ANVILL tool. It is very modern tool and thanks to Mr. Jeff Magoto I could have a closer look at it. It allows teachers to listen, watch and assess students responses. It allows users to create a forum and much more. I find it quite challenging to use though.

Right now I use our school's e-learning tool for online assessments and simple exercises, but it does not allow me to listen to students' answers and upload video files which ANVILL supports.

Tolls such as ANVILL can have a great effect on students learning and their autonomy. I teach students who are not able to visit school either because they are pro-sport players or have health problems and this would be a way how to teach them and check their progress.

Matej

2 comments:

  1. Dear Matej,
    Good Day
    This week is very important to me to learn new idea,technology,teaching process,lots of materials, new websites and resources for teaching and learning process which are very to me. As you have describe
    This week was more about exploring new tools that enhance language learning and learner autonomy same as me .Thank you very much for your recommends as word search exercise - topic Money on http://www.toolsforeducators.com
    We have also checked ANVILL tool. It is very modern tool and thanks to Mr. Jeff Magoto I could have a closer look at it. It allows teachers to listen, watch and assess students responses. It allows users to create a forum and much more. As you have find it quite challenging to use though as same as me also.
    Thanking very much
    Best Regards
    Bhuwan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Matej,
    Greetings from Nepal!
    We learnt very interactive new online tools which are really promote learner autonomy and make our students more creative and constructive. Yeah, http://www.toolsforeducators.com/ is very good web page where has collections of exercises. Likewise, we learnt ANVILL and got some new ideas how to use it in our classroom for Jeff. You find it quite challenges, so do I.

    Thanking you.
    With Regards,
    Mukti

    ReplyDelete